Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Big Question for Frugies...

In our parents' and grandparents' eras, the big Where Were You Question was, "Where were you when you found out Kennedy had been shot?"


The big question for those of us more {ahem} frugal minded? How long have you had your copy of The Tightwad Gazette?


Sallie posed this very question not so very long ago. Mine is a funny little story that teaches a big lesson about God's grace. Did you know he even cares what you read? Of course you did!

I'd been scouring frugal websites and kept seeing TG or Amy mentioned. I finally asked about it and was told about the book. This was during a very lean period in our lives, and I decided to go to the bookstore to see if they had a copy I could read. If it were cheap enough, I reasoned, I would buy it.


I looked everywhere in the store - to no avail. There wasn't a copy to be found, so I approached a sales person to ask about ordering and the price. She checked the computer and said that there should be a copy in the store somewhere...and off she went. I kind of hung around, a little lost, when lo and behold she returns with another lady. The lady looked at me and said, "I've been carrying this book all around the store but had just decided to put it back because I'm buying so much. Would you like it?" I breathed a quick prayer to the Lord that if He wanted me to have the book it would have to be on sale. {A little late, I know. LOL} As she handed it over, I saw that the book normally priced at over $30 was on sale for $7.00. I smiled, thanked the lady, thanked the Lord and paid for one of my new favorite books.


That was over 4 years ago. I've implemented many of AD's ideas with a great deal of success. Others will never be for me unless we're under duress, but it is nice to know they can be done and they work!

1 comment:

Vivian said...

God takes interest in every aspect of our lives ... so I believe u 100%! LOL Maybe I should borrow ur book ... that way I don't have to buy it. LOL ... Oh, wait ... I'm terrible about loosing things I borrow.