Sunday, March 30, 2008

I sought out information about "Seeker Churches"

I'm constantly amazed at how to "do" church right these days, there must be a jazzy kids' club complete with microphones, rockin' music and nightclub-esque decor.

How there must be screens everywhere with song lyrics superimposed over streams or beaches so people can be more comfortable just looking up at the screen instead of fumbling for and using a hymnal. (Never mind that the music is never on these - so if you don't know the tune you're left to mouth the words 2 seconds after everyone else. Never mind that the kid that runs the Power Point got distracted by a text message on his cell phone and forgot to forward through the lyrics 3 verses ago. I could go on and on - do you sense a soap box here? ;-) )

Golf scrambles and talent shows and raucous applause after each performance, er, song. How if you don't raise your hands and sway at just the right time, there must be something wrong in your spiritual life. (No, I'm just fat and don't feel like subjecting people to that. If the Lord tells me to sway, I'll sway.)

As more and more churches turn to the "Seeker" style, I find myself becoming more and more uncomfortable with it. It seems to me that the church is being set up as a sort of spiritual wal-mart. That those who are seeking will come for the egg hunt and leave with Jesus in their heart. And don't get me wrong, that does happen. But I am having trouble justifying it with our imperative to "Go ye therefore..." - and when I can't justify actions with scripture, the actions lose.

I found these on youtube and liked what Mark Driscoll had to say. What say you? (Edited to add: I've looked around the net a lot this past hour at what makes Driscoll tick. I've come to the conclusion that while I agree with a lot of his theology, I probably wouldn't care much for his methodology. Like I said, though, I do agree with him on this:



1 comment:

Linda said...

"Never mind that the kid that runs the Power Point got distracted by a text message on his cell phone and forgot to forward through the lyrics 3 verses ago"

*LOL* True!!!! ;)

We don't 'church' as fance as you say though.. We're renting a gymnasium.. Pastor does look holy that way, because the basketball ring makes a halo over his head.. hahaha..

Still the comment about the kid with the powerpoint is so true!


Greetings from the netherlands!